A Harmony Flex course offers parents and students flexibility in selecting course learning materials and activities based on a student’s learning style. Parents support students in working through individualized units of studies that focus on each of the grade-level standards listed below. Students then demonstrate competency by completing and submitting a Flex checkpoint worksheet for each unit.
- Parents will have access to educational resources which include curriculum, the Harmony Resource Library and the Flex Curriculum Resource Directory. The directory will supplement their selected course curriculum and to assist in planning and teaching each unit. The Curriculum Resource Directory will include links to online lesson materials that can be used as part of a unit study related to each unit’s checkpoint worksheet.
- Students in grades K-8 complete 9 units and the correlating checkpoint worksheets each semester, submitting one worksheet every two weeks. Parents and students are able to determine the sequence of the units of study in order to match their selected curriculum, meet individual needs, and customize their learning experience.
- The submission of checkpoint worksheets demonstrates attendance in the course. Because our partner schools expect a paced format, students submit work every two weeks. Students who do not submit worksheets as outlined run the risk of falling behind and being considered truant.
- Checkpoint worksheets are submitted online, generally as a pdf or jpeg file. Parents must have access to a scanner and a computer. If a scanner is not available, a scanner app for a smartphone can usually be used.
Units Of Study
Unit 1: The Solar System
Unit 2: The Earth-Sun-Moon System
Unit 3: Gravitational Force
Unit 4: Structure of the Atmosphere
Unit 5: Weather Experiment
Unit 6: Climate and Climate Change
Unit 7: Water Cycle
Unit 8: Rivers, Lakes, and Streams
Unit 9: Earth’s Layers
Unit 10: Volcanoes and Earthquakes
Unit 11: Earth’s History and Extinction
Unit 12: Rocks and Minerals
Unit 13: Rock Cycle
Unit 14: Substances and Mixtures
Unit 15: Chemical and Physical Properties
Unit 16: Chemical and Physical Changes
Unit 17: Reactants and Products
- Table salt (worksheet 14)
- Saucepan (worksheet 14)
- Black construction paper (worksheet 14)
- Stove (worksheet 14)
- Materials for chemical reaction you personally decide (worksheet 16)
- Materials for experiment you personally decide (worksheet 5)